-
August 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I hope this works. It is the first time I have done an album.
All of the clothes in the album (except Molly's travel dress of course) were made by my grandma for my mom's doll bluey when she was a girl. They were made during the 1940's and 50's. Many of them match outfits my mom had as a girl. She made a lot of them while my grandpa was away in WWII. My mom also said that my grandpa would also put the kids to bed or do the house work so that my grandma could sew. He was definitly before his time. My sister and I loved playing with Bluey when we were kids. It was always a special treat because sometimes she was at the "doll hospital" (really in a drawer) my grandma was afraid we might break her because she was old, even though we always were very carful. Everything is still in great shape even the elastic, and you can see why I wanted Molly the moment I saw her. Here she is...
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2103459137
-
August 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
#2
Inactive Member
That is an absolutely wonderful collection. It's amazing that it was kept together all these years.
The doll is gorgeous, and she looks like an Arranbee. Is she marked? If she's Arranbee, she could be marked R&B, or Arranbee, or not marked at all. I was born in 1943 (now you all know my age) and I have my one and only childhood doll that was kept in a box, and not played with. It's an Arranbee bride, and the face looks very much the same. Your grandmother did a fabulous job on the clothing! I'm like you, I love the coat! Molly has always been my favorite AG. I have some old patterns, and I'm going to try to make some coats in that style.
If my bride doll's picture is still in my photobucket file, I'll post it. I also have the Arranbee book, and I'll sell if I can find Bluey.
Is that her original outfit in the last picture?
My close up wasn't there anymore, but this is a full body shot. Hope it's not too big.
-
August 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
#3
joelanddeborah
Guest
I really enjoyed your album. You are so lucky!
Deborah [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-
August 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Oh my goodness. We never looked to see what kind of doll she was. But sure enough she has an R & B on the back of her neck. My mom would probably love to have a book of the dolls if she is in there. I don't know if she was named Bluey be the manufacturer or by my mom as a child. She is not home right now. But she will be thrilled to know more about the doll. Are they still in business? The outfit she is wearing was made by my grandma as well. I don't actually know what outfit she came in. The doll you have looks to be in really good shape. She is a very pretty doll. I know my mom was never really allowed to play with her doll either.
Thanks for any information
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 03, 2006 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Molly92 ]</font>
-
August 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
#5
Inactive Member
What a lovely story and album! Thank you for sharing. I particularly love the red coat-- just wonderful.
I have a doll that belonged to my mother-- purchased in the 40s. She is about 16" tall so smaller than Bluey but she looks to have the same face. My mother named her Jane and Jane has long golden hair but it was originally done up in a fancy do. She came with a trunk of clothing including a ski outfit. The trunk and original clothing were lost when my grandparents divorced in the late 50s but I do have one outfit my mother made for her when she was a girl and many outfits she made for her when I was growing up. Jane has no marking at all. She is similar to a Mary Hoyer doll as well. Someday I would love to find out more about her. We had her restrung in the 70s but other than that she has been in great shape.
-
August 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
#6
Polly Marie
Guest
I think AG should pay your Mom to copy all of Bluey's collection! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
The collection is cute and historically accurate. I can see why your sister and you looked forward to Grandma's doll items! [img]smile.gif[/img]
This collection is priceless. BTW, Molly is a wonderful model. [img]graemlins/girl.gif[/img]
Polly Marie
-
August 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Molly92........I've been going through my Arranbee book, and just like the AG dolls, a lot of the face molds are the same. Judging by her size, next to Molly, I'm guessing she is a Nancy Lee, or Nanette. Those are the only ones listed as being 21" tall. The other sizes are 14"..17"..18"..and 21". The only ones I could find with that face, in that size, are Nancy Lee or Nanette, and the time frame is right for either of them. The book is available on Amazon, and the title is.....Arranbee Dolls...by Suzanne L. DeMillar and Dennis J. Brevik. It's soft cover, and mine is marked $24.95. I could sit and look at these pictures for hours, because these are the dolls I grew up with. The "Littlest Angels" bring back many memories. They were about 10" tall. I think your mother would love a copy of this book...think Christmas!
-
August 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Hello!
I thoroughly enjoyed your album. All of those outfits are darling, especially the coats. I like the brown one with the matching hat--it looks great with Molly's coloring. I recognize the ice skates! My mom grew up playing with the Toni dolls in the 40's & 50's and gave me her entire collection. We have those ice skates or ones that look sooo similar. Do you have any Hopscotch Hill dolls? If so, try the skates on one of them because I've recently discovered that ours fit the HH dolls perfectly.
Just out of curiousity, how do/did you & your mom store all of those clothes to keep them in such marvelous condition? This goes back to a thread several weeks ago where we discussed the best way to preserve our AG collections for the future...I'm interested to know if your collection was kept in any special kind of case?
Thanks for sharing with us! Katie
-
August 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
#9
*AG Star*
Guest
Those outfits are amazing! I especially love the brown and red coats. What a wonderful story you have behind your doll!
-
August 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
#10
thepidget
Guest
Thank you so much for sharing your album! I really love looking at historical fashion and it was fun to see Molly wear all those outfits. I think your grandma should have worked for AG, hehe. [img]wink.gif[/img] I think my favorite from your grandma's collection is the red coat. The flared coat style looks just fabulous on Molly, and red is a good color for her. I also like the little hats/bonnets. I wish AG would make hats like that for Molly.
By the way, if you're interested in ice skates to go along with your Molly's velvet skating outfit, AG is releasing ice skates and earmuffs for her this fall. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks